What is a domain name? a domain registrar?
A domain name is the same thing as a URL or a website address that you input into your web browser. For example, onlinewebadmin.com is my domain name. I also own onlinewebadmin.ca, teresamartin.ca and etc. A domain registrar is a company that you pay to purchase a domain name.
Should I register my own domain name or will you do that for me?
Both are fine.
- If I register your domain name for you, it makes it a bit easier for me to manage your entire web presence better. I will ensure the domain name is registered to you and Online Web Admin will be the technical and administrative contact. This allows you to take the domain name with you if you ever decide to cancel my services. I will invoice you the month that the domain renewal payment is due.
- If you register the domain name, you will need to either give me “webmaster” access, or you will need to apply some settings when we launch your website. You will be responsible for paying your domain registration company when the domain renewals are due.
How do I pick a domain name?
You can use your business name, your personal name, a product name, or pretty much anything you like. If you are already well known, you may want to registrar a domain name that matches your personal name. Some people register both their business name and their personal name. It is up to you.
Should I register .com or .ca or .us or something else?
- To register .ca or .us, or domains in other countries, you need to have an address in that country. It is worthwhile to consider registering the domain for your country.
- The standard is still .com so if you can register that, you should.
- One strategy is to purchase all the main URL endings like .ca, .com, .net, .org, .biz, .tv and etcetera.
- There are now dozens of options, like .loan, .me, .guru, so this can get expensive.
- If you are going international and/or scaling to a large enterprise, you will have a different strategy than if you are only focusing on one country.
Do you offer domain registration?
Yes, Online Web Admin can register your domain name for you. This makes it easier for us to manage and take care of your website. If you are interested in learning more, please book a free consultation so we can chat about your needs: https://onlinewebadmin.com/appointments/
What is hosting and do I need it?
- Hosting, also known as domain hosting, is the service that allows your website to show up on the internet. You pay for specially configured computer space that holds your website files and connects those files to the internet.
- At least one of your domain names needs hosting if you want to have a website that people can see. You can register domain names and not pay for hosting – this holds the website name for you only – but one domain name must have hosting.
I own more than one domain name. Do I need hosting on each of them?
- Not usually. Typically hosting services include options to redirect one website address to another or to create “add-on domains” or “sub-domains” so that you can use that one account for all of your website needs. There will be restrictions based on the service you picked with your hosting company so do check. Online Web Admin can help you with this.
- There are some reasons for hosting each domain separately – just know that you will have website files for each domain which will require care and maintenance separately for each of them.
Do you offer domain hosting?
- Yes, Online Web Admin can host your website for you. This makes it easier for us to manage and take care of your website. If you are interested in learning more, please book a free consultation so we can chat about your needs: https://onlinewebadmin.com/appointments/
- If I don’t think I’m the right fit for your website hosting, I will refer you to another more appropriate service.